QuickBooks Desktop Pro Overview
1/7/20, 1/9/20, 1/14/20, 1/16/20 (Must attend all four nights)
Offices of the Connecticut Small Business Development Center (SBDC)
located in the Connecticut Center of Advanced Technology
222 Pitkin St, East Hartford, CT 06108
Workshop fee $120.
Co-sponsored by the Connecticut Small Business Development Center and the Entrepreneurial Center & Women’s Business Center, University of Hartford
We highly recommend you take our free online Financial Fundamentals course in advance of these sessions, which lays the groundwork for understanding the bookkeeping process in business. Log in at WeTeachSuccess.org.
If you can’t close your eyes and accurately visualize the layout of customary business financial statements (Income Statement, Balance Sheet, Statement of Cash Flows) or comfortably interpret the contents of these kinds of reports, then you will benefit greatly.
This four-night workshop will prepare you for a more active role in the bookkeeping and financial management tasks in your small business and the use of QuickBooks Desktop Pro, which for many years has been the most popular small business financial software package.
How the course is taught
You’ll use our laptop loaded with a working version of the software. During the course you will practice functions using a sample company file, along with other students, and guided by your instructor. After the course, you can purchase from among Intuit’s various program versions from the retailer of your choice based on what best suits your needs.
In years past, CEDF bundled a copy of Desktop Pro into a much higher price of tuition. But much has changed in the world of QuickBooks. Some editions of QuickBooks have been transformed into cloud-based, monthly subscriptions (for instance Macintosh). If you are attracted to a cloud version, please consult our training calendar for our QuickBooks Online course because the interface is very different from Desktop Pro.
Who can benefit from this course?
- Business owners or managers who want an introduction to the functions of the program. (Note: Because of the wide latitude in aptitude for mastering computer software and financial concepts in the limited time available, don’t plan on this course as your only solution for learning about bookkeeping or as a substitute for professional services.)
- Business owners or managers who employ a bookkeeper or accountant but want to participate in some routine entries to improve business operations.
- Business owners or managers who have used the simplified versions of QuickBooks or the Online version but want help mastering the very different look and feel of Desktop Pro.
Quickbooks Pro Desktop Overview - Night #1
- Course overview
- Setting up a new business
- QuickBooks vocabulary, help files and tutorials
- Basic Navigation in QuickBooks
- Getting acquainted with sample files
Quickbooks Pro Desktop Overview - Night #2
- Introduction to Lists
- Chart of Accounts
- Setting up Balance Sheet accounts
- Customer and Vendor Centers
- Customize Forms
- Enter and pay a simple bill
Quickbooks Pro Desktop Overview - Night #3
- Setting up sales taxes
- Recording use taxes
- Sales cycle using QuickBooks screens
- Sales cycle impact on the Income Statement
- Using estimates and purchase orders
Quickbooks Pro Desktop Overview - Night #4
- Paying sales taxes
- Reconciling balance sheet accounts
- Time tracking and payroll overview (sample file)
- Using reports
- Customize/export reports
- Back up and restoring files
CTSBDC is funded in part through a cooperative agreement with the U.S. Small Business Administration, the Connecticut Department of Economic and Community Development, and the University of Connecticut.